Talk Announcement (25.06., 13:00 c.t.): "Why Bother With Regulation and Ethics? We Just Develop the Technology" (Olivia Erdélyi)

We cordially invite you to the talk:

Title:
  "Why Bother With Regulation and Ethics? We Just Develop the Technology"
Speaker:
  Dr. Olivia Erdélyi (Lecturer, University of Canterbury, New Zealand)
When:
  Tuesday, 25.06.2019
  13:00 c.t.
Where:
  Seminarraum Gödel (Seminarraum FAV EG C)
  Favoritenstraße 9-11 / ground floor

As member of AIGO—the OECD AI expert group that was tasked to develop
the OECD’s new AI principles, which constitute the first international
standards on AI (http://www.oecd.org/going-digital/ai/principles/), Olivia
has been actively participating in international policy debates
concerning AI. Having worked with the European Commission on European
financial services regulation, she also has substantial policy experience in the
field of financial regulation.

The main focus of Olivia's research is on setting up a robust international
AI regulatory governance framework and develop responsible AI policies
to make sure AI is beneficial rather than detrimental to humanity. While AI
technologies and considerations around their regulatory treatment are relatively
new phenomena, most of the problems we are facing are well known and
common for all forms of technological innovation and globally relevant issue
areas like financial regulation, climate change, trade, and many others.

Her talk will delve into these problems, in particular address how technological
innovation affects society and highlight difficulties around AI regulation and
multi-disciplinary/stakeholder collaboration. It may also touch upon the
link between AI and financial regulation, especially FinTech, as this
ties in with TU Wien’s research focus on Knowledge Graphs.
Knowledge Graphs of banks and other financial organizations bring together
the knowledge obtained through (machine learning-based or logic-based)
AI methods and the knowledge obtained from financial regulations.