Talk announcement: Fri, Sept 29, 2017, 14:00 c.t. - Matti Järvisalo "The Implicit Hitting Set Approach and Preprocessing for Maximum Satisfiability Solving"

Dear Colleagues,

the Institute for Information Systems cordially invites you to the following talk:

The Implicit Hitting Set Approach and Preprocessing for Maximum Satisfiability Solving

Matti Järvisalo
https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mjarvisa/
University of Helsinki

DATE:   Fri, Sept 29, 2017
TIME:   14:00 c.t.
VENUE:  Seminarraum Goedel, Favoritenstrasse 9-11

The Boolean optimization paradigm of maximum satisfiability (MaxSAT) offers today a competitive approach to exactly solving various types of NP-hard optimization problems. This talk concerns algorithmic techniques for MaxSAT. The talk divides into two parts. In the first part, we overview the successful implicit hitting set approach to MaxSAT, and point out how the general framework can be applied to other beyond-NP reasoning problems. In the second part, we overview recent work on developing preprocessing techniques for MaxSAT, applied before search for an optimal
solution.

With kind support of the Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA)

--
ARätin Juliane Auerböck
Technische Universität Wien

DVR 0005886