talk announcement June 25, 2012 - Iyad Kanj "What makes normalized weighted satisfiability tractable"

The Database and Artificial Intelligence Group cordially invites you to the
 following talk:

Speaker: Miroslaw Truszczynski
University of Kentucky

DATE:	Thursday, 15th of november
TIME:	15 am s.t.
VENUE:	Seminarroom Goedel
	(Favoritenstrasse 9-11, ground floor)

TITLE: Connecting first-order ASP and the logic FO(ID) through reducts

ABSTRACT:

Recently, an answer-set programming (ASP) formalism of logic programing with
the answer-set semantics has been extended to the full first-order setting.
Earlier an extension of first-order logic with inductive definitions,
the logic FO(ID), was proposed as a knowledge representation formalism and
developed as an alternative ASP language. We present characterizations of
these formalisms in terms of concepts of infinitary propositional logic.
We use them to find a direct connection between the first-order ASP and
the logic FO(ID) under some restrictions on the form of
theories (programs) considered.

With kind support of the Vienna Center for Logic and Algorithms (VCLA) and Wofgang Pauli Instiut (WPI).

Beatrix Forsthuber
TU WIEN
Institut für Informationssysteme E 184
Favoritenstraße 9-11