http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~hermann/

Date: Wednesday, April 28th 2010
Time: 17:00-18:00
Place: Seminarroom "Gödel", Favoritenstr. 9, access from the inner courtyard

Abstract:

The problem to assign papers to referees gained a considerable
interest in the recent years, especially in the scope of conference
management systems. These systems need to achieve a fair and balanced
distribution of papers among referees, where the conditions of
fairness and balance may be defined in several ways. We present two
algorithms to distribute a possibly large number of papers among a
smaller number of referees, each paper requiring k reports. The first
one is an approximation algorithm, using an iteration of weighted
maximum matching in bipartite graphs. The second one is an exact
algorithm based on b-matching.  The optimality criterion for the
assignment is not based on a local view of each referee, but on a
global performance of the whole k-assignment satisfying a fairness
criterion. We introduce an objective function for the k-assignment
problem ensuring a specific notion of fairness when it is maximized.
We show how a few precisely defined fairness criteria can be achieved
that way. This includes a particularly notable extension of
rank-maximality, a notion introduced by Irving et al. Our second
algorithm computes in polynomial time optimal k-assignments with
respect to the aforementioned fairness function.

With kindly support of the Wolfgang Pauli Institute (WPI)

--
Schwarz Therese
Sekretary of the Institut of Information Systems