Einladung zum Vortrag von Ben McMahan

Einladung zum Vortrag

Ben McMahan

Rice University, Houston
Department of Computer Science

"Projection Pushing Revisted"

Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004, 16h s.t.

Seminarraum 184/3, 1040 Wien, Favoritenstraße 11, Stiege 4 (neben Protier),
3. Stock, roter Bereich

Abstract:

The join operation, which combines tuples from multiple
relations, is the most fundamental and, typically, the most expensive
operation in database queries. The standard approach to join-query
optimization is cost based, which requires developing a cost model,
assigning an estimated cost to each query-processing plan,
and searching in the space of all plans for a plan of minimal cost.
Two other approaches can be found in the database-theory
literature. The first approach, initially proposed by Chandra and
Merlin, focused on minimizing the number of joins rather then on
selecting an optimal join order. Unfortunately, this
approach requires a homomorphism test, which itself is NP-complete,
and has not been pursued in practical query processing.  The second,
more recent, approach focuses on structural properties of the
query in order to find a project-join order that will minimize the size of
intermediate results during query evaluation. For example, it is
known that for Boolean project-join queries a project-join order can be
found such that the arity of intermediate results is the treewidth of the
join graph plus one.

In this talk we pursue the structural-optimization approach,
motivated by its success in the context of constraint satisfaction.
We chose a setup in which the cost-based approach is
rather ineffective; we generate project-join queries with a
large number of relations over databases with small relations.
We show that a standard SQL planner (we use PostgreSQL) spends an
exponential amount of time on generating plans for such queries, with
rather dismal results in terms of performance. We then show how
structural techniques, including projection pushing and join reordering,
can yield exponential improvements in query execution time.
Finally, we combine early projection and join reordering in an
implementation of the bucket-elimination method from constraint
satisfaction to obtain another exponential improvement.