Talk Announcement: J. Niehren, Querying Unranked Trees with Stepwise Tree Automata: Towards Machine Learning

Talk Announcement
---------------------------------

Querying Unranked Trees with Stepwise Tree Automata: Towards Machine Learning

Joachim Niehren
Mostrare project of INRIA Futurs in Lille
Joint work with Julien Carme and Marc Tommasi

Time:
Tuesday December 2nd 2003, 17:00 s.t.

Place:
TU Wien, Seminarraum 184-2, Inst. f. Informationssysteme, Favoritenstrasse 9-11, 3rd floor, 1040 Vienna (when you leave the elevator turn left, go through the corridor, the entrance is on the right side)

Abstract:
The problem of selecting nodes from unranked trees is the most basic query problem in the context of XML. We propose stepwise tree automata, the notion of automata for the algebra of unranked trees. Stepwise tree automata induce a query notion that has the same expressiveness as monadic Datalog and monadic second-order logic over unranked trees. We give a simple proof of this result in order to illustrate the canonicity of our approach.

Stepwise tree automata open up a new avenue towards
machine learning of queries as needed in information
extraction. This is the approach of the Mostrare
project in of INRIA Futurs in Lille.

Other interesting links:

Mostrare Project:

 http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/mostrare